sfenvironment.org


Phoebe Home

Our Home

Recycle

Teacher Lounge

Getting Involved






The Problem with Mercury

Quicksilver

Mad as a Hatter

Mercury in our Environment

Mercury in our Food

Mercury Magnified

Mercury in the SF Bay

Protecting our Health

Three Things YOU Can Do To Stay Safe With Mercury



mercuryMad as a Hatter

Mercury is a very poisonous substance. In fact, Mercury is one of the most deadly poisons on Earth. Inhaling mercury vapors or gases, and eating or ingesting mercury can be very dangerous and even deadly. In the 1800's, mercury was used to manufacture felt hats in England and the Eastern United States. Many of the factory workers inhaled the mercury fumes. It damaged their brains and they became brain damaged or "mad." The term "mad as a hatter" comes from the hat makers that got brain damage from using mercury to make all those hats!

more